Friday, January 2, 2009

South Africans (mostly) in my garden




Ellen Hornig, of Seneca Hill Perennials, runs a mos impressive nursery and garden in upstate New York. Two of the three South African plants shown in these photos came from her. Crocosmia "Distant Planet" is a very vigorous selection that has grown in her garden for years, and in mine for a couple of years. It spreads quite easily, and the bright orange flowers quite showy in early summer. Agapanthus "Old Wayside clone" also came from her, here it is full bloom in its second season in my garden. It is slowly multiplying and shown excellent winter hardiness thus far. I have not seen it set seed, so it may be sterile or require another clone for pollination. It is much shorter than the typical agapanthus of California gardens, and unlike them it is totally deciduous with the onset of colder weather. The tall spires of Galtonia candicans have graced my garden for years, grown from seeds I originally got through the North American Rock Garden Society seed exchange. It sets seed readily, so I have enough seed stored over the years to grow a meadow full of it should I acquire enough land to do so in the future. The only non South African prominent in one of the photos is Stokesia "Peachies Pick", a compact and lovely selection of a native (southeastern) USA species that I picked up at Plant Delights.


No comments: