Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pelargonium lanceolatum


I'm continuing to scan old slides, so forgive the black edges on the pic, no time to play with photoshop yet. Clicking on the pic may reveal more detail, I'm trying to upload pics with more "dpi" in them now that I figured that out. P. lanceolatum is one of the oddest pelargonium species, and one which I would dearly like to get some material of to grow again. When I did grow it, it was a good grower with a spreading habit and the most unusual succulent grey green leaves. Roots can sprout additional shoots, but it is self sterile, so one would need two clones to set seed on it. It is not widespread in habitat, nor, as far as I can tell, in cultivation. It is a beautiful plant, with lots of flowers in spring and would make an ideal basket plant or even a groundcover in a suitable climate--sunny, not too much rain, and with little frost.

No comments: