Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Snake plant finally blooms!


Finally the snake plant bud has burst into a huge ball of white flowers. The first flowers are already drooping in this daytime shot, they open during the early evening and begin to wilt the next day. Many more buds are ready to open successively over the next several nights. Since I left the plant in my classroom for the summer, I didn't get a picture of freshly opened flowers, nor did I get to sample the intoxicating fragrance released at night by them. Somewhere I do have pics of the fresh flowers from the year before, when I kept the plant outside for the summer (and could observe it in the evening and very early morning), but it will take some time to locate them. This is perhaps the most spectacular sansevieria species of them all, just wish I had a name on it.

No comments: